VA Loma Linda Healthcare System
Why Should You Be Tobacco Free?
Quitting smoking is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health and protect the health of your family members. Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and using tobacco causes many diseases and affects your overall health. By quitting smoking or other forms of tobacco you and your loved ones will benefit in the short- and long-term.
Tobacco use has been shown to be the cause of:
- Heart disease
- Complications of pregnancy
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Secondhand smoke is associated with:
- Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- Acute lung infections, ear problems
- More frequent and severe asthma attacks in children
By quitting you will see benefits like:
- Have more energy and breathe easier.
- Save money that you can spend on other things.
- Find that your clothes, car and home smell better.
- Have fewer wrinkles and no stains on your skin and nails.
- Discover that food smells and tastes better.
- Fell good about quitting.
- Protect your family members and friends from secondhand smoke.
Talk to your Loma Linda VA health care provider about help with quitting smoking, including getting medication to improve your chances of quitting. To learn more about our Stop Smoking Program you can call (909) 825-7084 ext. 1869.